Saturday, March 11, 2006

POOH to Ponder

Here is one FACT that she have actually asked me so I opted to check on facts so I can give her accurate answer..

What gender is Winnie-the-Pooh?

According to the Winnie-the-Pooh FAQ, "...every character in Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner are boys except Kanga. There are references to other female characters, namely some of Rabbit's friends and relations, but none of them have any speaking parts."

Interestingly enough, the original bear that inspired the fictional character was female. During World War I, a Canadian lieutenant named Harry Colebourne was on his way to Europe when he bought a female black bear cub whose mother had been killed by a hunter. He named her Winnipeg (Winnie for short), after his hometown.

The cub accompanied the unit to Britain and became the brigade's mascot. When Colebourne was sent to France, he gave Winnie to the London Zoo. It was here that Christopher Robin Milne, son of author A.A. Milne, met and fell in love with the bear. He visited her often at the zoo and renamed his teddy bear (a male originally named Edward Bear) Winnie-the-Pooh. (The "Pooh" part was the name of a real swan). Inspired by his son's beloved stuffed animals, A.A. Milne wrote Winnie-the-Pooh, which was published in 1926. Walt Disney later bought the rights to the book and made several animated short films.

The first chapter of the book clearly establishes Pooh's gender. Milne wrote:
When I first heard his name, I said, just as you are going to say

, "But I thought he was a boy?"
"So did I," said Christopher Robin.
"Then you can't call him Winnie?"
"I don't." "But you said---" "He's Winnie-ther-Pooh.
Don't you know what 'ther' means?"
"Ah, yes, now I do," I said quickly; and I hope you do too,
because it is all the explanation you are going to get.


And that is all the explanation we have to give.



I would also want to correct myself...WINNIE THE POOH IS A BOY after all..Sorry for the mixed up baby!

Source: http://ask.yahoo.com/20020506.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

seo
seo Counter